The 2022 Short Story competition for adults aged 18+ has now closed.
The next competition will open in February 2023.
Please check this page closer to the date.
Entries should be a short story, maximum of 1500 words, suitable for children of any age up to 15 years old. Due date for entries will be announced next year.
The Pop Girls by Meredith Downes
The winner was announced at the annual Narelle Oliver Children’s Literature Lecture on Thursday evening, 26 May 2022.
The winner will receive $250.00, and they will be invited to have their story published on StoryLinks website.
2021: The Cake by Joanna Wisbey
2020: Mindy is Strange by Desmond Doyle
2019: The Microscope by Genevieve Young
2018: Tuck Shop Takeover by Combat Dad by Debbie Smith
Terms and conditions of entry: Please read carefully. Failure to comply may result in your entry being disqualified.
- Entrants may enter as many stories as they like provided they have never been published before. Each entry must be entered separately with a separate email.
- Maximum number of words – 1500 words.
- Submissions should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All entries must be submitted in an email attachment as a word document or PDF. No other format will be accepted.
- The subject line of the email must be in this format: ‘Title of the Short Story’ followed by the words ‘StoryLinks Short Story 2022’
- The body of the email should list: Name of author, Title of entry, Word count, Contact Details & email address.
- Each page should be numbered with the title in a header. Author details must not appear on these pages.
- Entries should be in Times New Roman at 12 point double spaced.
- Entries should not have won any other competition at the time of entry and should not have been published in any form.
- Entries must be the original work of the author and submission acknowledges that information relating to this competition has been read, that it is understood, and all conditions are met.
- Entries that have been submitted to this competition previously should not be resubmitted.
- The judge/s reserve the right to not award prize money if none of the entries fulfill all set criteria, and/or do not meet the quality sought by the judging panel.
- Competition opens 1 February 2022 and closes midnight Sunday 3 April 2022.
- Copyright remains with the author with first publication rights to StoryLinks.
- Failure to abide by the rules will result in an entry being rejected.
- The judges’ decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.